Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Closing down and a discovery

A few days ago while delivering the mail to one of my businesses, I spied in a pick up there a couple of old relics. One was a mid 60ish Honda CB72 or CB77, not really sure which. It was in a bit of a state but recoginizeable. The other was a BSA which was in a bad way was well. From the looks of it it could have been either a C15 or a B40 as it had a distributor on it  and was from the early to mid 60s before Amelia the Starfire was made. Haven't had a chance to talk to Andy, the owner, to find out about the BSA.

The closure was of a bike knackers warehouse in the local area. I heard through word of mouth that the place was closing as the building had been sold so everything had to go.

Too bad I didn't have the money as there may have been a few things such as helmets or whatever to be had at a good price. I also didn't find out abou tthis until after the fact so it was too late.

The last time I was there was about a month or so back to check on something trivial. As they had mainly bikes from the Orient there, I didn't even bother about parts for Amelia or Vicky. But I did see a couple of Yamahas and Hondas that were from the time I started riding, back in the days of the dinosaurs, the 70s.

Oh well, there's still the bike shows such as New Ulm and eBay to get stuff.

6 comments:

  1. Sad to see another shop bite the dust.Most of the smaller, older establishments round these parts are long gone.I lucked out years ago when my local Honda/BMW/Triumph/BSA shop closed. I happened to visit the shop right as they were pulling out the shop tools and putting them out on tables for sale. I called a friend and told him to hit the bank on the way over. I ended up with all of the BSA and Triumph tools, and he got all the BMW stuff. I think we spent a couple hundred a piece for the tools and boxes of msc. spares. Right place at the right time for once.
    Of course I heard later that most of the good stuff had been "donated" to a local school shop program. I had been in the back room a few times, and it was chock full of British parts going way back.Shop got a good tax write-off and someone made the big score. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah HL, it's a pity when the "real" shops close down and ya lose a place to get parts, etc.

    This place was more a breakers yard but did repairs and some sales.

    Luckily there is a place located behind the local HD dealer that works on British bikes and have been helpful in the past.

    How's things in Cali? Hasn't been in the news lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well CB, (I'll see if I can get in today..) seems all the big news is in the Gulf states, what with BP's situation...getting warmer here but not too terribly so. I missed a ride up to Tahoe area with CJMC people. They have a big show and swap meet coming up around the 18th up in Auburn California. Speaking of Honda 305's. Somewhere I have a 1969 CB 77, in boxes. I should start in on it while I'm waiting for Victor parts. Just remembered I promised a friend I'd do support for him in the "Eppie's Great Race". He'll be in his third year in the "old man" division of the marathon. He'll be running, biking, and kayaking. Maybe I can do both. Wish I was in that kind of shape. Some pretty amazing men and woman of all ages participating. A local resturant owner started this race...I believe over 35 years ago. Participants from all over the planet show up.

    let's see if this thing posts...Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy CB, How close did the Hurricane get to your place?.Have you some land between you and the Gulf to hopefully absorb some of the storm fury? HL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello CB... How did you weather the big storm? Are you far enough inland to be buffered from the storms? HL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh Ap HL, no problems from these pesky hurricanes. We're about 200 miles inland from the Gulf, north of Corpus Christi so the most we got was some rains the other week and some again today due to a depression again out in the Gulf.

    Been off the air for the past week due to 'net server problems which hopefully are sorted out now..

    Been trying to catch up on emails and GBCs blog as well as the other sites of interest. As well as trying to survive these 95 degree temps with high humidity.

    Not always easy, but gotta press on.

    ReplyDelete