Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Something for Kawa

As my mate Kawa has thrown in several BSA related items in recent blog postings, thought it only fair to return the favor.

In a fairly recent post, this past week I think, Kawa talked about the Indian Rally this past summer in Scotland where Indian enthusiasts (the motorcycles, not the people) from worldwide converged to ride, discuss, and do whatever else tht came to mind about Indian motorcycles from Sprinfield, Massachuesettes.

Digging into my vast (OK, OK I can but dream can't I?) archives, I brought up these three beauts that are in lovely nick.

   





These three fine looking machines are at present living at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum (http://www.lonestarmotorcyclemuseum.com/) in Vanderpool, Texas. If the linky thing doesn't work, try the linky thing on the home page of this electronic fishwrap.

I've mentioned the museum, a collection really, in a past posting. It's not quite as good as the National Motorycle Museum that Kawa and myself visited back during my trip home, but it does have a nice little selection of motorcycles there.

Getting back to the Indian rally; though V-twins and American motorcycles really aren't my thing, it would've nice to attend that one just to see these old bikes actully being used as intended. Other than the three pictured, I've only seen four, yes, four in my lifetime.

Two were actual Indian Chiefs, another was a "retro" Chief made in Gilroy, California and the other was one that looked similar to a HD Dyna Super Glide or Low Rider.

Kawa, feel free to acquire these pics if you want as I took them so they're not copywrited. Personally I like the Indian Four as it looks nice as well as being made years before the "groundbreaking" Honda 750/4 of the late 60s.

3 comments:

  1. I have liked Indians for years, used to go along to Motolux in Edinburgh now and again to have a look around, the place was like a time warp, the show room with a nice range of Indians and clothing really did look like a place from the 30s/40s, as did the workshop and stores. Also a face that was there for a while was Classic Bikes Rick Parkington, working hard in the workshop. A bike that Alan Forbes, also know as Eugene Reynolds of The Rezillos,owner of Motolux has be involved in is the Indian Dakota 4 http://www.p2r.se/mc/dakota4/index.htm , a bike I never see until the 09 rally, its a BIG bike!

    The trip to the Indian Rally was well worth it in quite a few ways. First where are you going to see so many of these bikes in one place, hear them run and smell them, yes smell, these old bikes give off an aroma that you only get with age (old oil, fuel and grease coming to boiling point)The company was good and the weather was fantastic.
    What you do notice about Indians is the colours, yes most are red, but some are really bright colours. This was due to, I am sure I read, that at one stage(1930s) you could have them painted any colour that the paint giants Du Pont did as they were the owners of Indian at the time.

    Your local museum looks interesting, must be worth a visit sometime. I think you see more at the smaller places, the brain doesn't go into overload the same.

    Only four Indians? better go looking for them they'll be out there

    Cheers for the post Bodger

    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you Bodger and all the bloggers and all the best in 2011

    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  3. And a happy Hogmany to you Kawa!

    ReplyDelete