Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolutions

Everyone makes (and breaks) resolutions for the New Year, including The Bodger. Actually I've already broken one, eating healthier. But that'll be back on track, just takes will power.

One that I made was to get to cracking on getting Vicky the Victor Special rebuilt and I've already started on that.

A few days ago I bought off eBay a repo tail-light assembly for the rear end. It was a good price and I do need one to put on the rear-end, so I bought it. Should be seeing it in a day or two.

But I still need to get more bits and bobs in order for the rebuild to really get underway. So to that end, I'll be getting pieces as they come up on eBay or wherever else and I'll do it sections at a time such as the forks first, then the frame, then the rear , then the motor then everything else. But ONLY after I have the bits for that section.

But if something comes up that is either a good buy or is once in a blue moon (such as a fuel tank), that'll be bought then and there if I'm lucky enough to get it.

The reason for the sections at a time is to get everything together then assemble it plus it's easier to move a rolling chassis around than it is to move deadweight about from place to place. Sounds like a plan don't it?

One thing that'll get done while on the look out for parts is to paint everything when the weather turns better. I heard about a primer paint that also doubles as a filler so I'll give that a try to see how it works. Then I'll do the top coats with the spray gun I bought last year.

As I'm not a pro and the only painting of this type I've ever done was on Cluster Bombs while in Okinawa nearly 30 years ago, it'll be a learning experience. But in case of any problems, I have a mate a few miles from me that can help out with advice if needed.

So until them, stay tuned and I'll start having so stuff posted up as it progresses.

Cheers for now.

Bodger

4 comments:

  1. Won't commet on resolutions other whan they never work for me :-(

    A bit at a time sounds a good idea, and when buying parts for that section put them all in one place, and ladel the box! I know cause the last few months while clearing stuff out in the house I've found lots of parts that were bought for bikes and put safely out the way years ago and had to buy the parts again, either I couldn't find then of forgot I bought them...

    Just an idea, but why don;t you put up a list of parts you need for the project, just incase some of the readers have the parts??

    Best of luck with the project.

    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great idea putting them in a labeled container Kawa, had actually came to me earlier today. One of those flats ones would bne ideal for fork stanchions.

    The only parts that I may have real trouble getting would be a tank in decent nick, same for seat and mudguards. But putting up a list is a good idea as well. Who knows, someone may have something stashed up in their loft or shed they can flog off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll keep an eye and ear out for you here in California for parts. I'm lucky that my Victor is pretty complete...it'll be needing the usual motor parts and other expendables.At the last big show I attended I met some new sources for parts. I need to go through my list of people and see who is still dealing parts. Like Kawa I'm doing the big clean-up and finding all kinds of interesting stuff I'd forgotten I had picked up.One of them was an Amal GP carb I rescued from a pile of stuff bound for the dump! One thing you might consider is alternative tanks and seats untill you pick up stock stuff. I'm thinking of setting my Victor up more as a "Cafe" bike, easily converted back to stock.But first to organize the shed....Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good of you to keep an eye/ear open Larry. Getting parts here in the northern regions of old Mexico isn't that easy other than the eBay and off the 'net.

    I've got a spare Starfire tank that I can use and always bung the Starfire seat on if need be.

    A "cafe" version is an iteresting idea.

    ReplyDelete