Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The countdown has begun

In less than 60 days, I'll be getting on a plane to make the trip back home and then up to Aberdoon for the Haggis Run.

To say I'm excited and anxious would be an understatement; I always enjoy returning home for obvious reasons such as seeing the family, old mates, seeing how things have changed and all the other stuff. But I'm  anxious due to a dislike of flying.

That in itself is a little ironic as I was in the Air Force and spent most of my time in overseas which involved a flight of some sort to get to the destination. Glutton for punisment maybe????

Anyway, I've gone over the packing of the bag several times to make sure everythings OK. It's a habit from the military of taking the immediate essentials with you.

Apart from the usual stuff like t-shirts and other clothes etc, riding gear such as a Barbour waxed cotton jacket and Belstaff pants and a helmet which are necessities, there's a couple of other things as well such as the digital camera for recording the Run, visits to the National Motorcyle Museum in Birmingham (NMM) and to RAF Welford near Newbury in Berkshire where I spent the first four years of my military life. There is one other thing that goes in the travel bag but that's a surprise for someone

RAF Welford was a fantabulous place to play, I mean, work at. Besides the actual work, we also chased rabbits that numbered in the thousands there, got up to mischief such as having forklift races, aand hiding from the bosses when we could.

The NMM is a place that I didn't get a chance to see last time, but this time I will. A few years back there was a terrible fire that damaged or destroyed some of the exhibits. For the most part they have been restored back to exhibition condition.

Kawa who has commented on here in the past has sent me some pictures from there via the 'net. Due to that I am making every effort to get to the NMM this time around to see the bikes that came from the once great British motorcycling industry. The BSA/Triumph Bandit/Fury, Slippery Sam, Triumph Quadrant and other machines.

While there I'll pick up a few of lifes necessities such as PG Tips, Shepards Pie mix, Cadburys chocolate and a few other bits and bobs. I'll also join the Grampian Classic Motorcycle Club while oop Norf.

So for now, the clock is ticking, but waaaaaaay to slowly for my liking.

9 comments:

  1. Still here Bodger, been busy time the last few months. Been going through years of stuff thats been "collecting", realising that I'll never use it or am not really interested in it (kawa triples and wee Hondas). Saying that theres now plenty of room for the BSA Blue Star project :-, plus another modern bike thats arriving soon...

    You wont be disappointed with the NMM, but go to the bikes you want to see first, cause if you start in the first hall you'll be suffering bike overload by the end of the second hall, well thats what happened to me the first time.

    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see the Blue Star project is beginning to proceed. Looking forward to a nice write-up on that.

    Good tip on the NMM; I definitely want to see the ones I mentioned and any others of interest.

    How's the parking there? If all goes to plan I'll get a hire car for a couple of days so I can get to NMM as well as Newbury.. Don't want to have to park and then go on a forced march to get to the exhibits. Do enough walking at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can park right outside the Museum.

    I've had a lot of help with info on the Blue Star, parts books and pics from sbf and Joe Grey, who has a very nice example of one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Close up parking...just the ticket.

    Sounds like the Blue Star won't be to much of a bother which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh. That means we only have a little over 60 days to sort the Haggis prep! Good to hear you're looking forward to it, but isn't it just a tad early to be packing....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just a dry run....making sure that I've got everything, 'specially that box of choccies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you on flying, particularly in the big jets...I always enjoyed being up in little Cessnas. Maybe because you can see all the instruments and have access to the controls...kinda like not liking riding pillion. The NNM sounds like a great place. I remember my mates and I looking forward to the new Triumph twin cam 350's to arrive...and being bitterly disapointed. At least you can see some examples in the museum.
    Say Kawa...see you have a blog...but no posts yet? Will you have your "new" BSA written up there? Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanna see 'em all, hopefully I can. There's another one I forgot about, the "Texas Cigar" I think it was called. A Triumph streamliner built by Big D Cycles in Dallas. I'm not sure but I think it was damaged in the fire a few years back. Should be back in shape by now I would think.

    Big or small planes, I still don't like flying but I recognize I must do it if when needed. Didn't have to much problems with military cargo though, even with hangover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So you noticed Larry, just started on it last week. I'll get something posted in the next week or so, hopefully. Just been busy getting things ready for five days of auld Kawas, Z1oc rally, which am just heading off to in an hour or so :-)

    The BSA will be in there once I get started on it.

    Some pics of the museum for you to have a look at

    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Haggi/NMM%2004%2010/





    Bodger, the stream liner is there and looking great, and you're right it was badly damaged in the fire. Have a look at the link

    http://www.saveourstreamliner.com/



    The first time I had a good look at it was in 96 while down for the Bonneville celebration (56-96). The TOMCC had put on a big get together at the National Motorcycle Museum to celebrate 40 yrs since the unofficial world speed record of the Triumph engined Stream liner at Bonneville Salt Flats, and as we know Triumph called their new "Sports Bike" after the place.

    There was also one of each of the Bonneville models, plus some of the prototypes from triumphs dieing days, lined up in the marque with the Stream liner at the top.

    What else from that day, well I met Percy Tait and had a good talk with him, nice guy. Also Norman Hide, who talked about plans of Cafe racers and the new Triumphs.. was a good day

    kawa




    kawa

    ReplyDelete