Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A new addition

Today, a few days before Merry Chrimbo or Bah Humbug, depending on your view, I stopped by a small, local motorcycle business that I had happened upon a few weeks ago by chance. So, as I was in the area I thought I'd drop in to see what they dealt with and what they did, as in repairs, parts, Japanese/HD or even possibly British.

I went inside and talked to this young guy for a few minutes and casually asked if they had any dirt bikes, British specifically like BSA or whatever. He told me there was a BSA frame in the back and he had an engine inside if I wanted to look. I did.

We went into the office where there was a motor sitting and he said that his dad had pulled it apart so some parts might be missing. I had a look at the area where the maker information is and guess what? Go on have a guess!!!

Can't guess? OK, it said it was a BSA B44 Victor Sport which is the big brother to my wee Starfire. Then he asks if I want to see the frame and of course the ansswer is...Yes!

We go back outside to an area that is tarped over. He pulls the tarp back and exposes a rolling chassis. He then says that he thinks that the motor came from this frame. So we have a quick look at the mounting lug on the left side of the down tube and he reads off B44VS.

I ask him what he'd be asking if he was to sell it and he tells me $75. To make sure I heard right, I said "$75 for the frame and motor, right?" and he confirms it.

After asking if I want to take it right now, I tell him that I'll get it after Christmas.

But I have the money and I'm slightly anxious about going back in a week or two and findng the price has gone up. So I'll swing by there on the way home from work to get the new additon to the shed along with  bill of sale for later on.

This new beastie is in rough shape; the forks need work as they are rusty, needs a seat, exhaust system, headlight, electrical wiring, tires, a tank and a ton of work.

But as it's similar to the Stafire, it shouldn't be too bad and parts are fairly easy to get from various sources. The big thing is whether to re-do it as a Victor Sport or as a Shooting Star







The Victor Sport is the one on the left with the blue tank and the Shooting Star is on the right with the red tank. They both look good, but which one? I'm leaning very heavily towards it's original set-up, the Victor Sport as seen on the left.

More pictures to follow when I pick the bike up and bring it back to Thrash 'em Motorcycles. This is to document it's sorry state for the restoration log and for reference work during the work.

No comments:

Post a Comment