Monday, December 14, 2009

Originality vs reliability

I just got the latest copy of Classic Bike Guide and one of the columnists did a bit on originality vs reliability and in the article, he talks about people who do restorations on classic bikes and insist on using only original parts instead of upgraded parts that might be better. No matter that the original stuff might be rubbish now as it was then.

I was interested in this as this blog is about the restoration of my Starfire and trying to keep it as original as possible.

But, some of the things he had to say made a lot of sense. As much as I want to keep it original, I can see that there are or will be times that it may not always happen.

One area that I've deviated from is the chainguard; one's for a B25 Starfire are rarer than frog lips so I had to make do with one from a B50. Another is the two bolts that secure the upper portion of the oil tank to the frame I replaced with stainless steel AF type nuts and bolts. This was done as the original CEI or BA threaded bolts snapped while re-installing the tank.

With the chainguard the purist anoraks will be coming out with the infamous "Don't think that chainguards right for that machine there mate." The bolts are hidden by the seat so will never be seen.

In either case, they may not be the right parts, but it doesn't stop the useablity of the bike.

As far as other upgrades, things such as electronic ignition to replace the points, that sounds like a good idea as it improves starting as well as reduces the need for adjustment on the points set-up or other problems with say the coil or condenser.

Depending on how well the headlight illuminates, I may go with a Halogen bulb or LED if there is one to improve the lights. Same for the rear light. Later on it may be agood idea to have the wiring loom replaced with a custom made one in the same colors.

Rubber for the wheels I'm still not sure about. I've always liked Dunlop K81 TT100s front and rear, but as those are from about 20-30 years ago, it may be hard to find them here. More recent Dunlop K82s have the same look and tread and might be available from the local MC breaker. If not, I may have to go with a modern tread and compound if necessary.

On the next restoration, I think upgrades will be in the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment