Monday, May 17, 2010

26th Annual BMOA New Ulm Rallye

Well folks, the 2010 New Ulm Rallye has come and gone for another year.

To be honest I wan't even sure if it was going to be held or not due to the weather a it had been raining on Friday for most of the day and when I left for the drive there, which is about 155 miles, it was pouring down.

Anyway, I got there at around 9:30am and was greeted by this:


and upon entering the grounds saw that there were people there from the previous night. The registration table had a couple of blokes there so I asked if the show was still on or not. They told me they hoped so and would start registration when/if the rain let up so the papers wouldn't get soggy.

In the meantime they let me go fnd a place to park and set up base camp. By this time it was a light drizzle which was good as I didn't want to try and set up a tent in a gale force hurricane. Luckily I was wearing my Barbour jacket and newsboy cap to keep dry.

So while waiting for the registration to begin I went walkabout to see what was there. Tents, travel trailers, RVs, and trucks with bike loaded trailers were parked all about. I talked to a few people here and there about the rain and conditions.

Luckily around 11am the drizzle let up ad registration began. For the princely sum of $40, I got to spent the weekend in the company of other lovers of British motorcycles as well others from the Continent and even from the Land of the Rising Sun. This $40 also got me a ticket for drawings for door prizes, a token for dinner as well as a schedule of events for the weekend along with unrestricteded coming and going from the Rally site.

Between this and 1pm when the Field Events were to take place I decided it was time to have a bite to eat and a Coke. On this note I feel I have to make a statement; it seems someone has commented that they have never drank Coke and never will, like it is a hazardous chemical. Sacriledge!!!! Coke is one of the finest discoveries known to man.

After making a nice ham roll and relaxing for a bit, it was time to roam about  bit and check out the vendors. I got myelf a bashplate for Vicky the B44 for $20 from one guy and an old BSA poster off another for $20.

At another place I saw brand new AMAL 930 carbs, which I need for Vicky, for $199. Maybe later me thinks.

1pm and the Field Events begin. These consisted of a Cold Start Race, Slow Race, Ring Toss, Clothes Pin on the washline, Barrell Roll, Riding the Board and lastly the Dirt Drag race.

Entries for these events were varied from a little kid on a mini-bike to a T-160 Trident an even a tractor, sorry, a Harley. Participents, spectators and officials all had a good time.

7pm came rolling around and it was time for the dinner put on by the organizers. BBQ chicken and sausage with mash, BBQ beans, BBQ sauce , bread and ice tea was on the menu. Good thing the Rally site has a coverd pavillion attached to a clubhouse type building with a kitcen, tables and chairs. Due to the weather and lower participation, there was food left over for those who were interested.

I ate with some guys from McAllen which is on the Rio Grande border with Mexico down near the Gulf of Mexico. I tip my cap to Dave who is in his 60s rides an old BSA A65  from McAllen to the Rallye and back. From McAllen to San Antonio it's about 250 miles I think and then another 155 miles to the site.

This may not seem like much, but considering that he rides while people who live in Houston which is less than 100 miles trailer their bikes says quite a bit about Dave a well as him taking part in the field games on the bike.

After a long day it was time to turn in for the night. Except for a someone running a generator for the AC unit in the trailer they brought, some others who kept setting off fireworks and the train that came along with the horn blaring, I managed to get a little sleep.

After getting up,  around 6am and fixing myelf somthing to eat  went I got to talking with a guy out walking his Border Collie. He told me of a place nearby in  nearby town where this old boy has three storage barns filled with motorcycles and has an oval dirt track on his property.

Sounds like a destination for the future.

Went walkabout again as I saw something the night before but didn't have the camera. Went back to the area and saw these:





The Beardsmore Precision is a 250 from 1927 I think the owner said and had a VMCC history to it as he had paperwork stating that it was restored by a certain Charles "Titch" Allen of the VMCC.                    

  There is one other bike that I just happened to see by chance so got a couple of shots of it. It's this:



I decided to give the concours judging a pass and head home. Dave from McAllen had already left an hour before in fog I felt it may be a good idea to leave as well just it case.

All in all it wasn't too bad, but I think I'll just go for the day next time. Generators and trains are not my idea of things to listen to at night.

4 comments:

  1. Like Norton, sounds like you had a good if soggy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twas a wee bit soggy GBC at the beginning but actually dried up nicely for the events.

    Speaking of which, I believe one of them, possibly the Barrell Roll, was won by a 57 Cubbie that I may have posted a pic of on the blog before.

    Oh Gorgeous one, care to check on the Titch Allen/Beardsmore Precision connection on next visit to VMCC? Just to see if it's true or he's having us on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like typical Scottish summer weather you had there Bodger :-), but worth the visit

    See my wee Beardsmore Precision was at the event again, might be looking for something like that after Brain washing day.. ment Training day on Sunday, out playing with these old hand change jobs

    GBC,whats happening though you were Triumph through an through, first the other day you said a BSA was nice and now you like a Norton, soon you'll be saying you like Kwakas, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Kawa, it was worth it. Though turn out wasn't big due to the rain, getting to see the likes of the Beardmore and the Interplod makes it worthwhile.

    Isn't it a lasses perogative to change her mind? As long as she start getting a fascination for Noddy bikes she'll be OK ;)

    ReplyDelete