Friday, May 21, 2010

Did some work

I finally broke down and did some work on Vicky. No, no....no need for the smelling salts, it's true.

Last weekend when I went to the New Ulm rally I picked up a skid/bash plate for Vicky for a lowly $20 as noted in the last posting.

So while I'm still on vacation 'til Monday morning I did a little of work on it. There was a small ding in the edge of one side so using a ballpeen hammer and placing the plate on the anvil portion of the bench vise, a small surgical blow was administered and the ding instantly is gone!

Before I forget, there was a small crack in the plate at the large hole in th picture. I got that welded up and then filed down the weld some.

Then with some sandpaper and a wire wheel in the electric drill to remove any rust, it was roughed up and prepped for some rattle can spray primer.

While I was in the spraying mood, a few other minor parts got the treatment as well such as the rear brake hub  anchor as well as the brake arm.

Here's the plate, before (L) and after (R):


                               







                                                      
The rear brake hub either came painted black or was painted at some time in it's life. I checked Amelia the Starfire and it was plain so I'm guessing that a previous owner got bored one afternoon and got the spray can out for some homebased artistry.

 Rear hub, before (L) and after (R):          










The after shot looks a lot cleaner than it actually is due to the flash from the camera, but it looks a lot better with all that paint off there.

I also did some cleaning up of the frame. A few months back I used some wet-n-dry paper on it to sand it down for prepping later on. This time I used a Dremel tool with a small wire brush/wheel to get to the nooks and crannies and get rid of any rust.


I've gotta tell ya that this is one useful wee tool to hve in your tool collection. It does a lot of work in hard to get to places that big fingers can't and it saves on joint pain for those who have arthritis. If you don't hae one, get on....now!

There's still more work to be done, and it will. But there's no point in rushing and doing a lousy job. I may be an amateur at this, but I plan on doing a good job of it.

The nxt couple of days I'll try and cataloge exactly what parts I need to get the work done. It'll be a long list from the looks ofit, but as it'll be broken down into sub-sections such as frame, forks, rear suspension, timing side, primary side of the motor, etc, it won't look quite the nightmare.  

2 comments:

  1. Alright, progress is made. Were you inspired by your trip to the Bike meet? Looking at your pic of the skid plate, makes me think they used the same part on Triumph Scramblers. I'll have to take a look at the one in my back yard. My Victor is unfortunately getting "buried" due to a spate of Spring cleaning. Next time I'm out to storage I'll take a gander at the rear hub, and see if it's painted or plain. You've got my curiosity going. I'm trying to get my shed and tools organized...again. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya HL-Th meet was good as I go to see a few nice looking rides there and get the plate. The turnout wasn' big due to the rain s not to many people selling either.

    Am curious about the hub as I've seen pics wher it's bare and painted. Prefer the bare loook myself.

    No shed is truly "organized" is it? Mine never is.

    ReplyDelete