Monday, March 21, 2011

Some work

Yesterday and today I've done a small amount of work on Vicky. By small I mean hardly anything at all but something was done.

What I did was put the bottom half of the motor into the frame while the frame is still suspended in the air. Basically I wanted to see if it was gonna be difficult all by my lonesome to put it in, it wasn't, just getting it situated so the lug holes lined up right.

Then I decided to put the outer casings on to see how it was looking. Was starting to look like a motorcycle instead of some tubing hanging by straps from the rafters of the shed.

However there is a small matter of the small index pins that are used to line things up on the outer casings. Seems that there is one on the timing cover and there's one on the inner timing cover in the exact same place. Makes it difficult to get everything to close up as needed. Sooooooo.....one of them has to come out.

Here comes the tricky bit, how to get them out! Tried to use a heat gun on both the casings but to no avail. Can't use SWMBO  oven in the hoose as I can already predict the outcome right now and it wouldn't be  a pretty sight.

But not to worry, Bodger will come up with a solution. There's no hurry on this as parts still need to be procured and this was all just a dry run of sorts to see how things were looking.

Sorry no pictures, but SWMBO has decided to "liberate" the digital from as hers went belly up. Will get something figgered out shortly.

4 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, sounds like a job for...Molewrenchman...maybe...I seem to remember those little buggers being a pain, compared to hollow dowel pins. Are these solid pins? I used to stick an appropiate drift in the hollow ones and carefully twist back and forthsees with the "vice-grips"...been so long since I wrestled with BSA's...good luck. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are hollow Larry. From what I can see, they locate into the appropriate hole in the case or cover whichever is the case to keep things lined up so losing them shouldn't be a big concern.

    So I'm thinking of getting the junior hacksaw out and cutting them both off flush with the surfaces. That should do the trick.

    Had thought of the visegrips approach but thought the saw would be better.

    We'll see what happens, should be entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So they are hollow pins...yeah I guess they are there as a preliminary locating device, and keep things from shifting. Comes back to me now, the drift would keep the grips from crushing the pin and exacerbating the problem. If you go that route, don't drive the drift in hard...just snug it. Otherwise you just expanded it tighter. Oh the joys of old machinery....and I don't believe it has anything to do with oil passage as on Japanese head to cylinder joints...? HL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, the pins are pretty much just to keep things lined up.

    The screws for securing the timing cover passes thru them so I don't think oil passages are affected.

    I think it'd a better route with the junior (as in smallish) hacksaw to just cut them off instead of trying to use the drift due to the results you mentioned, getting tighter in the hole.

    Have to make sure I still have the saw as SWMBO has a habit of "borrowing" tools from the shed and keeping track of them.:(

    ReplyDelete