Sunday, July 10, 2011

Can you buy heritage or credibility?

I was reading the article by Mark Zimmerman in latest issue of CBG about Polaris buying the "Indian" name in order to have some "heritage" for the company.

Normally I read his articles but don't really agree with what he says....just me being contrary to most I guess making me who I am.

Anyway, it seems that Polaris, makers of snowmobiles, ATVs and V twin motorcycles, thinks that with the name "Indian" as part of the group, people will assume they have an aura of respectability, lineage and become a household name much in the same way Harley Davidson or H*nda does.

But that doesn't really mean squat in my opinion. It's how well your product is made, how well your product is known, the way customers are treated or dealt with, etc.

If "Thrash 'em Motorcycles" (me basically and is totally unknown in the motorcycle world apart from my ramblings here) was to buy the name "Greeves" which has an illustrious past,  that wouldn't make me any more famous, respectable or even imply I have a long motorcycling heritage. It just means I've got the scratch to buy something (wish I did) and can now flaunt the name.

So Polaris I think isn't really doing anything special other than acquiring a famous name and cashing in on it.

What are your thoughts oh blog readers???? Answers on a bit of paper sent to: The guy in charge of opinions, Old house down the lane, Hinton-in-the Hedges, Northants, UK or just leave a comment here as always.

5 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, Indians haven't been manufactured since 1953, a year after I was born. Does that make me a "Classic"? Ha Ha ha. Haven't seen the article by Mr.Z yet. The poor Indian name. Oh well, what can you do, a lot of money has been made trading on the name. I own an Indian, bicycle that is. Actually it is two bicycles that someone a long time ago welded into a bicycle built for two. They probably destroyed the value of both bikes...but at least it's a "genuine" Indian. I lived near Springfield, Massachusetts in the early 60's when my father was stationed at Westover AFB. Indian had already been gone 10 years. Heritage is something you inherit through a direct lineage, isn't it? Wish them luck. Nice guy that I am, when I see someone on a new "Indian"...I'll say "nice bike", and leave the rivet counting and paint chip analysis to someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that over the years a lot of people have invested in trying to bring back a real Indian Motorcycle, a few have got a bike into production, but either seem to run out of steam or is it lack of interest from the buying public?
    To make a go of this type of, I think niche market Motorcycle they have to have either a major backer, or a mainstream product. Look at what the new Triumph did when they started production, built bikes to sell to the masses before building the retro bikes. It seems to have worked for them.
    Yes in a way they are buying into the "heritage", but that seems the way of the world now a days, wither thats right or wrong. In a way I hope they can make a real go of the name and try and not make it another HD clone. Hark back to the original Indians and take out of them what made them different back then and put a modern interpation on it, use the heritage that there to use.

    Heres a link to whats seems to have been happening in the world of Indians over last few years, including the Scottish link.....
    http://www.indianchiefmotorcycles.com/currentline.htm (copy and paste)


    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Scottish link to Indians, forgot about that...Alan Forbes was it. Rick P used to work for him at one point.....more interested in flogging t-shirts and trinkets is the impression I get.

    Kawa you mentioned Triumph who I had actually thought of while writing this gibberish, along with Norton.

    Bloor has made some good bikes from what I see, but it's as you say, in a way he's cashing in on the "old" Triumph heritage of names, designs, etc.

    Norton has had several people dabbling with the name and trying to get bikes made. John Gardner (I think that's his name) may have a chance if he does like Bloor and not like the case with Indians.

    I saw a real Indian Chief in Tucson years back which raelly surprised me and then a few years back here I saw at a gas station a Gilrpoy Indian Chief. Got to talking with the owner. It had a S&S V-twin motor in (don't remember the size) and he said that it vibrated so much he was constantly having to tighten up fastners
    But it did look nice.

    Only time will tell I guess....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just spent way too much money on several Moto-mags. Read the editorial-like you I don't agree on a lot he says, but this time I agree with his analysis. Indian and Harley were real competitors on the race tracks back in the day. Now, if Polaris would build some successful bikes to race against Harley on the dirt tracks and design some nice bikes derived from these, then maybe they could start building up some new "Heritage" and interest people in their bikes. More "clonish" bikes are probably not going to get it...IMHO...haha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Price of reading material is getting silly......

    You mentioned "clones" and heritage.....that's a good point....buying a name and hoping that it will "boost" sales or whatever for clones just doesn't make them better or what have you.

    You just cannot buy history to make yourself look impressive is how I feel!

    ReplyDelete