Thursday, July 14, 2011

Tank update

Got the tank for "Vicky" yesterday.

In really good shape considering the bondo that was used on it. One area has a small indentation in the bondo...thinking not enough was put on and after it dried there was some shrinkage along with the sanding.

So I think a wee bit more bondo, just enough to build it up, let it dry and then sand it down to where it's good.

The bare metal I'm thinking will need to be primered and then some of that aluminum paint or if this chrome look paint I've heard about is good, some of that along with the yellow to get it looking the way it needs to.

Then the decals/stickers for the side of the tank and we're set.

At the rate I'm finding and getting parts, I may well be ready to put it all together sometime....let's see....it's 2011 now.......hmmmm....sometime in the next decade.

Seriously, if all goes good, within a year or so I'm hoping. That's if everything goes good. Still have to find those parts first!

So far it hasn't been to bad; I never thought I'd find a tank in good nick and at a good price to boot. Same with the seat. Granted it may cost me to get it redone, but it'll still be cheaper than getting a GOOD NOS seat.

The hunt continues......

3 comments:

  1. Hey Bodger, Maybe next weekend I'll see if I can get in and dig my Victor tank out. Gonna be out of town this weekend. I'll take some pics of it, and do some measurements of sticker placement etc. While clearing flammables from the little garage roof for 4th of July, I noticed some rat or other varmint has chewed a hole through corner of the roof. Not looking forward to any damages caused by said critter or the water that got in over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, that's not good.....hopefully nothing got damaged or it's minimal.

    Some rat traps or even a couple four-legged mousers might be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Measurements for the paintwork, stickers etc will definitely be appreciated Larry.

    Getting the scallop portions equal for both sides will take some doing, but that's all part of the challenge.

    By the way, is there a pinstripe between the yellow and the chrome/alloy portion of the tank? I saw on some pics of a tank that showed it, just wondering...

    ReplyDelete