Thursday, September 1, 2011

Parts needed

In the last posting, Kawa mentioned a list of parts needed to help get Vicky back to roadworthiness.....something we had discussed briefly once before I believe.....but had been forgotten.

So this morning Bodger put pen to paper as it were and came up with a list of items to help get Vicky from basket case status








 back to award winning museum status




OK, maybe not that but at least on the road will do.

So, off the top of my head, as I can't seem to get the actual list to show here like I want, here's the list:

Mudguards/fenders, both; headlight shell; headlight; all cables' all levers except rear brake and kick start; speedo and rubber cup housing; chain guard; rear grab rail; coil; condenser; rectifier; wiring harness/loom; all rubber parts except fork gaiters; head light fork shrouds/brackets; rear taillight mount; all side reflectors; engine mounting bolts; complete gasket set; ignition switch w/ keys; clutch springs; transfers/decals set; rear shocks; oil pump; oil tank union; AMAL 930 carb with air filter and canister ( the round pancake type); petcock; points cover; speedo mounting bracket; one pair fork top nuts; horn; silencer/muffler....

There's more if I could remember....but this is a rough idea of what's needed.

Soooooooooooooooooo if anyone has an extra lying about they don't need or run across one, let Bodger know and we can do some dealing OK? Cool....

And maybe, just maybe Vicky can be well on her way to taking part in the  October 2013 British Singles Run run from the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum previously mentioned.





4 comments:

  1. Making lists a good idea, something I need to sit down and do for my current projects.
    Once again I might be interested in some of the parts you don't use.Are the fenders with the bike now, aluminum? I take it you are looking for original Chrome plated steel fenders? Are your shocks and fork ears too knackered...can't tell from the pic...? Any way I'll keep my eye out, and while I go through my stuff see if I have anything you might be able to use.
    At least you have enough to get up a rolling chassis.
    Lately I've been bookmarking a lot of suppliers and shops on the web. Hoping to find as much stuff as local as I can...by that I mean out here on the West coast. Looking at buying cable making supplies and a soldering pot. Used to make a lot of cables at the shop I worked at in the 70's. Really not that hard. Have to weigh the costs of making vs. buying ready-made though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry I'm not 100% but I think the fenders are aluminum and other than some dings and whatever are in fairly good shape. The rear shocks may be a little worse off but could very well be serviceable as well. The fork shrouds have some dings that with the right equipment and know how could be put back to use....I'll have a look see and send some pics off to you to see what you think.

    That's the good thing, I did get a fairly complete rolling chassis to work from/with. A lot of clean up needed doing but it's getting there.

    Never made up cables....another one of those jobs that would be good to know how to do, but as you say, would the costs involve justify it once or twice for the supplies...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making up cables isn't that difficult nor expensive. Here in the UK, Venhill sell a kit that contains everything you're likely to need: http://www.venhill.co.uk/Cable_Kits_and_Components/Universal_Cable_Kits/U01-1-100_UNIVERSAL_CLUTCH_CABLE_KIT.html
    And give instructions on their website: http://www.venhill.co.uk/Downloads/Guidance%20for%20Cable%20Manufactur,%20Installation%20and%20Maintenance%20recommendations.pdf
    (Something similar should be available locally).
    I made up a cable using only a large electric soldering iron. Give it a try, it's a useful thing to be able to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers for the info Norman, will deffo have a gander at the sites. Will be good to know how to do it as BSA places are as extinct as an honest politician

    ReplyDelete