Friday, November 18, 2011

More book learning

I recently got this book as it might give me some ideas of my "ideal shed/garage".                                 







There were a couple of chapters that looked good and others that were more in the line of a rich blokes toy room. 

The one at the very end of the book was one that really caught my eye, an old service station converted into a workshop and whatever else. A bit untidy maybe, but it looks good instead of like being a surgical theater like some in the book.

The main reason for some of this ramblings on is there is a chapter about an old boy here in Texas that has quite a nice collection of vintage rides. Apparently this bloke, Barry Solomon, had started in a modest way and after a visit to the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum (LSMCM) that I've mentioned a few times, decided to do it up in a big way.

Seems that he had QUITE the collection going with some older vintage machines in it that were beautifully restored.

And this was a collection that I would have loved to have seen. I say loved to as I have recently discovered through Allan Johncock, the owner of the LSMCM that Barry Solomon had the whole lot auctioned off a short while ago.

Drat and botheration!!!

I also found out the name of the town where another collection is housed. I had heard about it while at the New Ulm Rallye on a couple of occasions and while talking to Allan he told me that it was in a small town called Sealy. The collection isn't signposted and you have to have directions to it, of which I have vague directions and an idea, but I will venture forth and look for it one day.

It seems that this collection is made up of off road bikes such as motocross, scrambles, trials, greenlaners and other types. My guess is that it may not exactly be set up like the LSMCM or the National Motorcycle Museum in Brum, but that I don't care about, as long as I can see the bikes, get pictures and just have a poke about.

So stay tuned sometime in the future, this decade at least, for a possible report.



4 comments:

  1. Right now, I'm calling mine the "Night-mare Garage". Making me think of what was once my perfect garage. I rented an ancient apartment and an old carriage house with three stalls.It was like a two story barn where the horses were kept, with the stalls for the carriages. Later it was adapted for Horseless carriages. Lost that one when the owner sold out to the nearby Law-school.It was perfect, sigh...
    Now I have my little cottage garage with carport. Raining today, might venture out into the cold and see how my roof patching efforts went. On a 10 day holiday from work. Bodger, I just might get out and literally dig out that Victor tank to get pics and dimensions for you finally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers on the tank Larry, that will definitely help with the marking off. One thing I can't do is get both sides matched up using freehnad. Will have to make a template.

    An old carriage house, that would be a perfect set up. Stable stalls for parking or work areas, plenty of floor space and storage areas, that would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It still amazes me the amount of small collections of bikes that we keep hearing about, and even better to visit, although the private ones are usually only visited through a friend of a friend...
    Hopefully the big shed will have a bit more room after the New Year, a man's coming to look at one of the cars taking up bike space, so hope it all goes to plan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word of mouth is how I heard about this other collection Kawa....so now I just have to suss out the exact whereabouts of this fabled collection and get a peak if possible.

    What's a car doing in a bike shed????? Good to know it's going so more room is made for bikes ;)

    ReplyDelete