Friday, October 7, 2011

An observation

When is it that people are going to be held accountable for what they do instead of someone else?

By this I mean, the average person who gets behind the steering wheel of any four wheeled vehicle has basically been given the perfect excuse more or less by the government or any law providers to not be held liable for any death or injury that occurs if the were to hit and/or kill a motorcyclist.

The reason, to me, is that those who make the laws are so intent on any carnage from happening on the roads that they come out with laws to "protect" a motorcyclist and passenger for their own good.

They range from the mandatory use of a helmet to daytime headlights to now in some places the use of Day-Glo vests or jackets.

Even though I don't particularly care to wear a helmet, I do just to be safe due to the number of idiotic and dangerous drivers here, even though it's not required here.

The others I just don't get at all.......if a driver of a car or truck runs into someone who isn't wearing a Day-Glo jacket, he has a built in excuse...."I didn't see him cause he wasn't bright enough!"

What happened to using your EYES??????? Looking and observing is part of driving. It's amazing how somebody can say that but will be driving along and will see a small sign for a sale of some sort, but can somehow NOT SEE a motorcycle approx. 5 feet long with a rider on it that maybe 5 feet high.

Pretty soon, we, as in motorcyclists, will be back to the old ways when cars first came along......a person will have to walk a ways in front and signal with flags and make some sort of noise to let people know they are in the vicinity, along with posting a time table to let them know to the second when.

Make and hold the four wheel driver accountable for not using their peepers like intended....either that or ban them from driving!

Just an observation.............tomorrow, getting messy and dirty with wet-n-dry paper, some water and Vicky's frame and other tinware.

5 comments:

  1. Let's see, take away all the cel-phones and other distracting devices...probably CD players and MP3 devices as well. About three months ago a woman ran into my Jeep while I was stopped at a light.She was busy yappin' away on her phone. Fortunately my tow hitch was installed and it kept my rearend from taking a hit on the sheetmetal.Did leave a nice dent in her bumper to explain to her husband... Out here they have passed laws about all this, but hard to enforce.
    We've had the helmet law for sometime now. I miss being able to take a short ride helmetless. I think that being helmeted gives some people a false sense of security, as witness some of the stupid driving I see by some.
    I drive a pretty big truck around at work, but have almost been hit many times by inattentive drivers. Might have something to do with the quality of driver's training these days. That and the fact that new vehicles do seem to insulate their drivers from the world so much.
    Have fun working on your bikes during your vacation. I think I'm due one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The added distractions play a part I think Larry, but it comes down to people not using all their senses and being complacent, thinking that they have to look for specific things such as the vests.

    I'll see what can be done today on sanding....insomnia is not my friend lately, especially when some twits are hammering away building something at 3AM. Makes getting whatever sleep I do get even harder.

    But two weeks can produce enough of what needs to be done. Also the "Harvest Classic" will be held the last weekend in Luckenbach....a report from there as well will be coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW.....GBC tells me via Faceache that she can't post on here or your Blogs either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, yours too eh...she sent me an e-mail about that. Is Kawa still locked out of his own blog? I swear there must be a wire loose in Scotland.(Lucas isn't providing internet over there, I hope) I've been having good luck for the most part, leaving comments here and there around the planet. Don't know if it's because I'm using Google Chrome, or just been lucky? Funny thing about those vests, I've considered wearing one around busy streets when I start commuting by bike again. Either that or some sort of get up that looks more like a cop. Course I'd have to paint my bikes up suitably as well,...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kawa as far as I know is, haven't heard from him on here, though I think he has Google Chrome as well.

    Funny, cops are seen a good majority of the time for some reason no matter what.

    ReplyDelete