Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Been doing some reading

The other day I received a package from home containing a load of old Classic Bike (CB) magazines and as today was my day off and with it being a wet, miserable day I decided to have a gander at them and the old articles.

I subscribe to CB at present and though it is a good mag, I at times find it a bit lacking compared to say Classic Bike Guide (CBG) or even The Classic Motorcycle (TCM) as far as the content of articles.

A case in point is that compared to today, the articles in the older copies spanned a few pages whereas today's articles cover a page or two depending on the sbject.

I've noticed that the articles on how to do your own painting, set timing, electrics etc in the older rags seem to go a lot more in depth while todays features seem to skim over things.

Perhaps as there is a vast "industry" set up for classics now, it's easier for those who are strapped for time or space to do their own work, while back in the old days, a person was more inclined to do it themselves.

And perhaps that is a bad thing as nowadays, people such as myself aren't to savvy on things they really should be. I admit right here and now that I can't set up timing to, know SFA about electrickery, and can't  tear an engine apart. But from reading some of these old articles, I'll come away with a better undertanding for when I do.

I mentioned CBG at the start and due to what I've been seeing of late with the Triumph Thunderbird, some of the "How to..." articles and just things in general, I may have to look into getting a subscription to that magazine in the near future. Will continue to to get CB though for the Tech articles advice/knowledge from Rick P.

But it is good what you can learn from the past tht can help you with work of today.

7 comments:

  1. C'mon Bodger, even I can tear an engine apart...




    ...can't put it back together very well though! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have taken them down to a point and that's it. But never completely apart. Vicky will be getting the treatment here shortly.

    Anyways GBC, it's all part of the learning ain't it;)

    So when you gonna start on the Terrier? I saw an article I think in one of the mags about the Terrier. I'll have a look see and if so, I'll scan it and send it on if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember getting the first issue of CB from my Dad, still have it along with a few more in the archives, and bought it for years along with Classic Mechanics (when it had real articals). Then some where along the line they all went to pot, large pics and no more than its a bike an its green as the write up. There are thankfully a few magazines about now that are still an interesting read, likes of Real Classic, CBG (not so good now a days)also am told OBM, but never read it. As for CB I'll agree that the best bit in it is R.Ps very informative articals.
    Never under estimate youself when it comes to repairs, get all the info you can, either books or asking the questions, then take your time and work your way through the job....dead easy ;-)
    Dont listen to GBC, she put a Cub rocker box together when I couldn't :-)
    Best of luck with Vicky

    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers and too right Kawa about taking yer time and learning.

    I'll give that to GBC, from reading about her wee Cubbie, it sounds like she really gets stuck in there and gives it a go. Hats off to the lass.

    There'll be updates on Vicky as we go, the good, the bad and the ugly (hopefully not to much of that!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy Rick P. and his rebuilds in the shed...gotta admire a bloke with a lathe and the knowledge to use it. I also like his fearless approach to welding...be seems to be getting better...inspiring me to get my "shed" together. better keep this short..before my phone "times -out". Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  6. howdy again Chief..safer for me to do this in short posts...on the celly...is GBC listening? shhhhh..I have BSA Victor as well....so will be tuning in on your progress..,now get cracking!...just kidding..take your time and enjoy. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning Larry...another BSA Victor owner. The first one I ever saw was back in the early 70s and then never saw one again until about three years ago.

    Was at a rally between here and Houston and saw about three. Then back in December I ran across this one and got it for $285. Looks like hell, but with a little TLC and advice from forums, needed parts, old mag articles, manuals and such for reference, it should be back on the road sometime this century.

    Hope you like the nonsnese that I'm putting in here. Trying to make this entertaining and informative to a degree.

    Cheers, Tim

    ReplyDelete