Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New Ulm Rallye (their spelling, not mine)

OK boys and girls, in keeping with what the classic scene is like here in the Colonies, I'm gonna show you some pics from the British Motorcycle Owners Asscociation (BMOA) rallies from 2007 and 2009.

It's not a huge event such as the BSAOC World things, or even like some of the UK autojumbles, as there aren't that many British classics on the road in Texas to speak of, but it's held outdoors, has a few field events  and for the most part has a good showing of British bikes and enthusiasts.

To fill you in a little, the Rallye (and this is their spelling of it not mine) is held in a small town about 15 miles north of the town of Columbus which is on Interstate 10 between San Antonio and Houston. The event has been held for 25 years to date and is organized by the BMOA and held in Firemans Park.

It's held the weekend after Mothers Day here in the US which is basically the end of May and is nearly three days in duration. Admission is about $30 for the entire weekend with space to camp, BBQ, vendors, modern conveniences and even a meal supplied.

There are awards given in various categories for field events as well as showing off your pride and joy(s). There are even a couple of organized ride outs in the local area which is mainly farming with a sprinkling of smallish towns thrown in.

There are a couple of small general store type places very close by that have on hand the all important supplies of beer, ciggies for the smokers, food and curiosities such as a Jackalope of which I think I have a picture of and if so, it will be posted.

So without further delay, here's some pictures of the Texas classic bike scene:





As you can see, here in the Lone Star state, classic British bikes are out and about being ridden no matter what they are, whether the wee Cub, the vetern Beardmore (pay no attention to the reprobate next to it), the trials Matchless or the high piped Commando. Oh and the furry creaqture is the promised Jackalope.


8 comments:

  1. some nice bikes. Wow a three-pointer. Most of the jackalopes you see in California or Nevada or smaller only two-pointers, but ornery cusses. Yup I guess everythings a little bigger in Texas. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try and post a few more tonight. There's a nice Square Four and Lightning, another Cub for GBC, and a Russian creature of some sort.

    The Jackalope did look a little vicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More Cubs! everywhere you look theres one ;-)

    The smaller events are usually more enjoyable and relaxed, I find anyway, more time to look at whats there and talk to the owners.

    I like the Beardmore Precision motorcycle, not just for its Scottish conection, but it looks just right.

    Jackalope, its ok but not a patch on the Haggis ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yer right there Kawa about the smaller events. The first time I went I got talking to this old boy with a B44VS and he told me he had a tank for my Starfire if I needed it. Ended up buying it a month or so later for $100.

    Not really a big fan of vintage bikes myself but that Beardmore is rather nice looking. I'll do up a thingy on this museum later on that has a 1917 BSA outfit along with a Matchless Model X V-twin with sidecar.

    There is something to be said of Haggis isn't there! :)

    And another Cub for the Gorgeous one and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chief B. let me know if the cel pics are getting through. My 441 had flattened off areas on the headlight ears...I assume for tank clearance? was wrong about mileage the speedo said 5600 . seems to have original gold seal K-70's...and still holding air! luckily it was last bike in, so it won't be too hard to retrieve. Haggis..scary one that. Hairy L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't seen any yet Larry, I'll put it down again to make sure:

    ThrashemmotorcyclesATyahoo.com

    I wondered about the flat areas if it was damage or for taank clearance. I'm thinking it was for tank clearance as they don't appear to be random dings and I saw some on eBay that looked the same.

    Original tires on it...sounds like the Starfire I've got.

    Haggis, had it a couple of times and not to bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked them GBC. Not many aboot that's for sure. I'd still like to get one if I ever ran acrosss one. Maybe one day eh?

    ReplyDelete