Sunday, February 28, 2010

Destinations: The Lone Star Motorcycle Museum, Texas

Destinations: The Lone Star Motorcycle Museum, Texas


I know, this is a lazy way of doing things by putting a link thing up to go to. But I promise, there are more words and pictures to go with it that I actually write and put on here, I swear!

Anyway, you can get some of the background off the link thing from Motorcycle Classics which does tell a little about the museum. But of course you'd rather hear it directly from someone who's been and spent some time there wouldn't you? Of course you would, I would!

The museum is located aboot 120miles west of me out in the Hill Country of Texas. It looks a little isolated at first glance and you think that is no possble way that a classic motorcycle museum can be out in the middle of this area.

Well, that's what I thought too a few years back when I stumbled across the place whie goingto some place nearby. I was going out to a State Park, Lost Maples, and took a roundabout way of getting there (translation: I had no clue if I was in the general area or not).

Anyway, I finally get to an intersection that has a sign saying to go to the right. Directly across the intersection was a chainlink fence with a banner telling all about the museum. As mentioned above, I thought someone was joking.....until I passed by it on the left a mile from the park.

However, the place was closed. Come to find out that it was only open on the weekends or by appointment and this was a Thursday. So a few months later I finally managed to make another trip out there, on the weekend.

I go there before opening time and tried the door which was unlocked so I went in. I saw the owner and asked if he was open and more or less said yes as I was already in.

I paid my admisssion fee which was an earth shattering $5 and proceeded to spent the next three hours enjoying the place.

It's not on the scale of the National Motorcycle Museum in Brum (Birmingham, UK), but has a nice collection in just the same.

Just to get an idea, here's a couple examples:







The Royal Enfield I was told by Allan Johncock the owner was bought from the previous owner on condition that it not be restored and Allan agreed to it. It's a 1917 model with a sidecar.






Just in case you can't read it, that's a Royal Enfield lawnmower.

The last time I was at the museum, Allan had just gotten a French Soyer and a Douglas fore and aft for display as well as an Ariel 500 that had just been beautifully restored and I unfortunately didn't have my camera with me that day.

He also showed me the parts that had just been rechromed, primered and gathered for the start of the rebuild of a Triumph Thunderbird with a sprung hub I believe.

As well as the above, there's several different types of Nortons, a Brough SS100, four different Vincents, a Norton Commando with Combat motor, and a few old Indians and Harleys. Sorry, no Cubs there.

There's also a cafe named after a famous one in London to get some grub at as well as a TV with DVD/VCR player to watch some race movies while looking and eating.


The place is tucked away out in the middle of nowhere, is only opened Friday to Sunday and is closed for the winter, but surprisingly, Allan and his wife Debbie get loads of visitors. Allan also organizes the British Singles Run that has been talked about already.

This is my idea of getting away for the day and I look forward to the times that I can.

4 comments:

  1. looks like a nice little museum I wouln't mind visiting. A friend of mine while in the UK last year stumbled into the National MC Museum by accident and came away impressed...and picked up a couple of nice postcards. Just got through reading the 5 bike comparo in The Classic Motorcycle of all the triples. There is a nice red BSA like the one you took pic of. On my wish list I'd include a triple. I tuned one up as a mechanic. It was a hopped-up bike stripped of much weight. No muffler even...just a three into short straight pipe. When it came on the cam, it made a glorious howl! Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll see if I can psot a few more this weekend. I've got 'em on a disc.

    Love the look of those, a break away from the conventional look that Triumph/BSA had for a few years.

    On my next trip back to the UK I'm gonna try and get to the NMM there, only about 45 minutes away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just picked up MC Classics mag with the Black Bomber on cover and 441 Victor article inside...two bikes on my "already own list". Mag seems to be getting better all the tlme...these guys are from Kansas? They mention the 23rd annual Clubman's All-British MC weekend in San Jose, Calif. On the 27th of this month. This year featuring British triples...I'll see if I can get pics of 441's and Triples for you. And any Cubs I spot for GBC. From past experience it's hard to get good pics because of the hugh amounts of bikes packed into a not so small bldg. And the hordes of spectators. Usually a good swap-meet as well...can't wait. Maybe this year I'll join up on the ride they have the next day....gotta make a cuppa and get back to my research....Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting Larry. Definitely need to see the classic scene on the West Coast.

    ReplyDelete