Friday, February 19, 2010

BSA-Best Scrap Available

That's pretty much what it comes down after stripping the rolling chassis down to just a few parts remaining.

Everything else that was taken off seems to be OK though the wiring has seen better days and is now gonna see the inside of the bin.

Before:                                                                                            





This is what Vicky looked like when I first got her and brought her home.




This after getting her up on the bench and taking a couple of parts
off of her...not a pretty sight is it?  




Every so often I'd go out to the shed and take a few parts off, but would forget to take the digi camera or had dead batteries, so there's no shots during work in progress. Sorry about that, put it down to enthusiasm.

But everything you see from the front on has been stripped off. Even did some sanding of the battery tray, tool box, footrest hangers, head steady and a couple of small brackets before spraying with primer.

On Sunday, I'll get in and take some piccies of how it looks now as well as the primered parts.

I mentioned last about a classic bike magazine from here in the US. I saw it on the newstand at the local chain bookstore and had a quick look see.

The mag, Motorcycle Classics, surprisingly isn't too bad. I thought that it'd be full of Nipponese faire but was pleased to see an article concerning BSAs. Last month on the cover was a Triumph X75 Hurricane, one of the most beautiful creations known to man. This month there was a write-up about....drumroll....BSA B44 Victor Specials.

So this looks like it might be something to compliment the other mags that I pick up each month.

Also related to this magazine is a linky thing in the on-line version. I'm not to savvy on doing the cut-n-paste of links and what not so you'll have to follow along with this part.

Anyway,  in one of the heading, "Destinations" (I think), click  on that and then scroll down to "Real Men Ride Singles". Click on that and read a write-up by Phillip Tooth (from England) about the 2009 British Singles Run.

This is something that I mentioned earlier at the beginning of the blog that happens every October. Read the story and look at the photo gallery to get a small idea of what it's like to ride in west Texas. 

Even though it is October, it's still quite warm and some of the pictures can convey the openess and vastness of the area.

I was going to give this years Run a go, but then I got Vicky, so have put participation off until next year when Amelia the  Starfire should be up and running then. 

Eureka....I just had a BRILLANT idea! In an earlier posting I commented on the differences between riding in the UK and here. Maybe GBC or SFB can give nice clear and concise instructions on how to do this but if anyone wants to submit piccies and a brief write-up of riding classics in their own locale and then post them on GBC, SFB or my blogs, we can all maybe "see" where and how we all ride. A comparison of sorts between the Highlands and west Texas or California and England, that type of thing. That's if it's agreeable with them and anyone reading of course. 




6 comments:

  1. my 441 has about 4000 original miles on it , and I paid a hundred dollars for it. course this was 30 or more years ago when I'm sure the guy that sold it to me thought he had ripped me off. the piston was stuck...from being left out with out a plug...Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry bout chopping this up...on phone...it was also missing the peg assembly and the front fender but he promised to bring them by some day. He never did of course...years later at a local scrapyard I found a Victor fender and peg assembly together. Possibly the original thrown out years earlier. I'll post more tomorrow from a real computer at my ma's . Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a plan, that last bit, Bodger. Mind you, there'll be no riding here for a while, got another 4 or 5 inches of snow and a hefty lot of frost and ice forming everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just read about Rhoades and the Roarer and all at GBC's. Those lucky people!! Youtube has a 42 second clip of the Roarer making a couple passes at a race track. That would be great if they get some video of the happenings...so we can see what we are missing. I was lulling myself to sleep last night watching Honda 6 cylinder racers and old British race bikes. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. GBC-I know exactly what you mean. Weather in the Isles is unpredictable.

    Larry-I would LOVE to be at that and meet Rhodes. But I'll have to settle for pictures.

    I'll go through my files and post some piccies from the New Ulm Rallye's I've been to. There's even a Cub:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you know I was just looking at your pics of Vicky and I gotta say "rust never sleeps".Tim you got yourself a project there. In the next week or two I'll see if I can dig out my 441 enough to get you some detail shots of the rolling chassis that may or may not help you out with your project. Like I said it's low miles and has never been apart except for the motor being yanked out...mine has the half yellow tank with big swash of polished alloy.It has the squared-off barrel unlike the rounded barrel of earlier models. Right now the tank is on my 650 BSA...but that's another story. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete