Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The beauty of the Interweb

Haven't really done too much work on Vicky lately. The other day I pulled one of the external springs off it's stanchion after a bit of working at it, while the other one fully resisted any efforts to loosen it's rusty grip.

Have gotten a couple things off eBay; a reprint of a 70s B44VS parts listing and a primary chain tensioner, both for around $20 each.

That's the beauty of this 'net thingy....even though there's no actual BSA dealers in existance here in cactus land, or anywhere else in the Colonies for that matter, ordering parts is easy enough by shopping on-line.

There's eBay of course, but there's also other sources worldwide that may have the parts, information, literature or whatever is needed at your fingertips.

I've found parts  for Amelia my Starfire in the UK, Australia, Canada and throughout the US and it's proving to be the same for Vicky as well.

This also applies to advice as well. I've gotten advice and information on a few forums I belong to as well as from researching websites

Some of it is BSA specific and so is more general info that is gleaned from discussion on a forum thread of some kind. And a really good thing is that any info from the web is gotten more or less right away versus having to wait days on end for any written word to arrive via the mail system. The only wait that invovled is when the mail service delivers an item to me that I've ordered.

So for now, I'll keep trawling eBay looking for parts.

Also, as my trip home has been postponed 'til possibly in October, I'll attend the '10 New Ulm Rallye next month, campping the weekend there. I'll try and get plenty of pictures of interesting bikes and write up a report to accompany.

2 comments:

  1. Planning to go anywhere special (apart from home!) in October Bodger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if things work out well I'll be coming home in October with a wee trip to Scotchland to take part in the Haggis Run. Looking forward to that as well as meeting some fellow bloggers :)

    This is providing all goes to plan of curse. Stay tuned for updates.

    ReplyDelete