Friday, April 9, 2010

Choice of tires/tyres

While things are apart right now and before I get too carried away I'm gonna ask for your opinion on something.....when I rebuild Vicky, I'm split between using universal or trials/motocross tires and road tires.

As I live on 2 1/2 acres of sandy land with a few dips, loads of trees with a fallen one for good measure, the odd exposed tree roots the trials type tires would be the way to go so I could dabble a little at trials riding.

So an off road tire would be most suitable for that use. But which type?

However, as I'd also like to use her on the road and have the tread to grip it, road tires would be a more natural choice.

I'm very inclined towards the road tires so I can ride her on the road, in particular in the Hill Country west of here which has sme very nice twisty roads. My choice for tires would be Dunlop K81s (TT100s) but from 'net research, there's no such tire here in the Colonies.

And this is the reason for the opinions; which would YOU chose with the info just given?

So let's hear your opinions (keep it clean), no matter what they might be.

11 comments:

  1. My Vic came with K- 70's...HL

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...if you go trials, make sure it's a highway legal type...HL

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...or a modern streetable knobby? HL

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...try motorcycle-superstore.com for Dunlops...HL

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HL how're the K70s on the road? I've only used K81s or Avon Roadrunners which have a triangular profile compared to what looks liike a blocky profile on the K70s?

    ReplyDelete
  7. kinda of a compromise tire...fair at both dirt and street HL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Larry, I'll give them a try if I can't get any TT100s

    ReplyDelete
  9. On a real computer to see if I can get more than a few words to post. K-70'slide real nice if your into that kind of thing on dirt. I'm a flat-tracking fan and always liked it. Classic race guys that can't afford other tires are still using the TT-100's so they should be available.I've also thought about the tire thing for my Victor. Maybe having a second set of wheels with dirt tires might be the way to go.Ok let's see if this will go. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good, that seemed to work.My phone won't allow me to post but short comments. Yet over at GBC's it will allow me to post longer comments. By the way that odd "Burmashave" comment you deleted was mine. As I was looking at all of the short "bursts" I'd been allowed to post I was getting frustrated as I kept losing longer ones...and the line of short posts reminded me of the old Ad signs you used to see along the highways in the sixties...sorry about that Cheif. HL

    ReplyDelete
  11. BurhmaShave---gotcha, I was wondering about that. Think I'll stick with road tires, either of the two should be good for riding.

    Good thoughts on those Larry

    ReplyDelete