Sunday, April 18, 2010

A damp week

Been a wet and damp week of late. For the past few days it's been rain and the resulting chaos that results due to it.

I don't know what it is about the  people in this town, but for some reason, when it starts to rain, they get stupid. On the freeways and motorways they'll drive at 70mph (none of those metric speeds thank you) and then when it starts to get wettish, they go faster and start to tailgate.

And of course this leads to numerous accidents all over town. A good one happened near where I live; I have to take the motorway home, which is about 15 miles south of  town out in the country.

About a mile from my exit, it started tipping down for a few minutes and then I saw some vehicles on the shoulder of the central reservation. The rain let up and then I saw in the north bound lanes a school bus at the side of the roadway facing the opposite direction. Then the rest of the scene.

Here and there for about half a mile were cars and trucks at staggered intervals in various states of damage. The police and fire department was there along with a polic and news helicopters and both northbound lanes were blocked with a resulting tailback of traffic that stretched a good mile or more back.

It stayed like this for while I'm guessing as traffic was coming off the motorway and driving down the road where I live to bypass the accident.

As a result of the lunacy that's involved, I don't ride in the rain if I don't have to. It's not that I can't, it's that I prefer to stay in one piece AND alive for a little longer.

I'll leave it at this for now.

7 comments:

  1. You got rain, we had a flurry of SNOW today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll trade ya! I'll take the snow over rain ANY day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we didnt ride in the rain we wouldn't get out much, mind your waterproofs when you head over here later in the year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aye, you wouldn't would ya Kawa....thye problem here is that it doesn't rain tha often so when it does people get daft.

    A Barbour jacket and Belstaff trews, well broken in and a wee bit beat up but they should do I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rain and snow again in sunny California HL

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get that in Northern CA more than in SoCa duncah HL? The rain and some snow I mean.

    ReplyDelete