Sunday, April 25, 2010

Riding gear

A couple of things have gotten me to ponder this subject.

First was the posting about rain and the other was from the other week while I was out and about. I'll start with the rain issue; even though I have ridden in the rain, I'm not a big fan of it. Besides the prats out there on suicide missions when it starts to rain, there's the thing of staying dry.

Getting caught out in the rain without raingear has happend on occasion and by the time I've gotten to my destination I ended up looking like a drown rat. But the idea is to have something to stay dry and if possible, warm.

With that, what are the choices? Is the new age textile stuff as good as advertised by keeping you dry, warm and stylish (if you're into that sort of thing)? Or do you go the other routes which are Belstaff/Barbour suits which will keep you dry and all that at a hefty price or go the cheap avenue and get an old storm coat, Wellies and hope for the best?

Personally I go for the Belstaff/Barbour gear made out of waxed cotton. It's been tested and proven over the decades.

The other thought was this: for everyday riding, depending on the weather of course, what's sensible and practical?

Do you wear just the bare minimum such as t-shirt, jeans, gloves and a helmet like Harley owners trying to look stylish or do you wear a leather/protective jacket as well even though it may be uncomfortable in high temperatures such as down here in Cactus Country? Or do you wear like some, t-shirts, shorts and sandals? These I see mainly on Japanese road scorchers.

To me even though it may be hotter than Africa during a heatwave, having the right gear on is the only right choice. Yes in extreme heat the jacket may get you hot and bothered (not like that my dear) but it's better than having severe road rash and scars for a while.

Plus, even on a hot day, there's always the chance of getting hypothermia while out riding without a jacket of some sort.

Sorry if this sounds like an editorial or promotional for some safety gurus, it's not, but it's something that I had been thinking about the past week or so.



  

3 comments:

  1. These days I wear the lightwieght breathable gortex parka and pants I use for skiing over my regular bike gear, and since they are extra large they go over everything. Seems to keep me dry, at least for trips to work. I have'nt tried it for hours on end yet. I have a heavy two-piece "BMW" branded Gortex insulated winter riding get-up I scored for next to nothing at a thrift store (charity shop). I've never tried it yet but I'm sure it works great. It just seems a bit much for shorter trips. Any way the new stuffs gotta beat those old yellow rain suits I used to wear, that seemed to leak in all the inoppurtune places. A lot of times when I was younger I'd just go for it in leather jacket and jeans...and thaw out when I got home. To old for that nonsence now. Found my old jacket in a closet over the weekend...it looks so battle scarred from years of aforementioned mistreatment. Had to laugh at my duct tape repairs. Hairy Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leather jacket and jeans....I remember those days riding back in England and getting caught in downpours without any gear coz I didn't have any. Drown rat is a good image.

    Prefer to stay dry if possible now.

    Jacket with duct tape repairs and patchwork, must be quite a sight. Duct tape is a bodgers friend :o

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a mixture of stuff for me...got a very very nice leather jacket that I would wear rain hail or shine, it was really warm and ok, only shower proof, but you just go faster if it rained, but I had to stop wearing it cos it made my shoulder hurt (long story). I found that a cheap - and by that I mean about £30 modern fabric coat with foam padding in the elbows etc is just the ticket for any weather up here. It's my winter jacket but I'll wear it in the summer too as in Scotland, you can't be sure what kind of weather is around the corner. I do have a lightweight fabric jacket with armour in the elbows etc which is good for hot hot hot days. On me legs I just wear well padded leather jeans, with lined waterproof overtrousers if required (like today, hail stones, brrrr!). So that's about it for me, fabric and leather, all seems good.

    ReplyDelete