Friday, August 12, 2011

Got some forks....but no knives or spoons

The latest acquisition towards the rebuild of "Vicky", a set of 99% complete forks, have arrived.

Upon quick inspection, the rubber gaiters seem to be in very good nick, the sliders likewise....however these are the type that have end caps to secure the front wheel spindle in place whereas the knackered original pair have the straight thru spindle set up.

May have to do a little rearranging if the straight thru set up is incompatible with this one. Not a problem....

The yokes or trees do have to be replaced as there are extra holes drilled in them, top and lower yokes, for some odd reason. But as "Vicky's" are in great shape....again, not a problem.

There are headlight shrouds, but the strange thing is that there are no "ears" for attaching the headlight. And I did think that maybe they had been snapped off or sawn off with a hacksaw, but negative on both accounts. The ares where they would be attached through welding I would think, are clean with no jagged edges, etc.

For scrambles use I wonder???

I'm thinking of doing some exploratory surgery here on Sunday just to have a butchers at what's what. Luckily I have a pair of external springs and new seals on hand and if all seems good, half the front end job will be a lot easier

Pics will be forthcoming in the next fork posting when things come (I hope) apart for inspection.

Stay tuned 

2 comments:

  1. so the forks have turned out to be fairly good condition, hope you can mix an match with all the good bits...





    kawa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah mate, taht's what I think'll have to happen...so far evrything looks good though.

    I had a quick look see at the gaiters thiss morn before going to the salt mines and at first glance they good great.

    ut then after groping them (not what you think), I some small splits and holes in them.

    Good thing I had got ssome replacements already, the rest I'll see what I can see tomorrow.

    I've got the yokes, spring and seals, hopefully the rest are in good nick.

    ReplyDelete