Sunday, August 14, 2011

Still about the forks

Went into the garage to work on the newly acquired forks for "Vicky", armed with freshly charged (I hope) batteries for the camera.

Put the batteries in, turned the camera on and it says "Card Locked"......Huuuuuuuuuuhhhhh???? Pushed the take the picture button and nothing happened.....at all.

So it's decided to go ahead and see what I can do. I checked the gaiters which have some small holes and splits/tears in them. they'll be history soon.

Pulling the gaiters down revealed that both, not one but both external springs are in place, though one of those and the stanchion it's around are a so I think little on the shabby side with the rust.

What's missing is one of the fork damping rods. So that has to be ordered.

I sprayed some penetrating fluid down the fork stanchions to where the fork seal locking washers ring thingies are so that any corrosion in the threads can be loosened up and the ring things can be removed. Will probably take a few days, but I'll give it a try later just to see.

Had a look at what I could and things seem to "be" OK. Once I can get things apart, will know better.
The corrosion I've seen so far has been fairly light so steel or copper wool might be in order for some very light sanding to take care of it.

The yokes/trees are great except........there's two extra holes drilled into each. For what purpose is any ones guess.

I'll try again with the camera and get some pics.

Extra: Just got confirmation the the left hand side panel is now another eBay addition to the parts stash. These are as rare as chicken lips so you'll know why I'm happy about this

More extra stuff..................Had a quick session in the shed/garage and got the stanchions free of the yokes/trees. Unfortunately, due to not having a vise that's bolted down, I wasn't able to use the fork seal tool to remove the seal retainers.

But the springs look to be in good shape, remove some surface rust and oiled up, good as sorta new...same with the stanchions I'm thinking. Once those are free from the sliders and cleaned up to get a better idea of the surfaces, things will be looking better.

Still think I'll use the new springs and gaiters on the set during rebuild, more to know that it was done.

Nad still can't take pics due to the memory card being "Locked". How bizarre, never done that before!

So far so good.

3 comments:

  1. If you decide to sell the earless shrouds, I might be your customer. From what you've said about the new forks, I'm wondering if maybe they were off a twin Beezer or a Trumpet. Hard to say about it without a closer look. But all that might not matter, if the parts fit and work.There was/is a lot of interchangability that goes on there...
    Your talking about the original glasfibre cover? Imagine those are getting scarce.
    Cheap as I am, I'd probably repair the gaiters with small patches on the inside and some black silicone seal...
    Extra holes drilled...? Wonder if someone mounted a chopper style light or somesuch? If you don't think it weakens anything,(once again being cheap..errr thrifty, there's always bondo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off a twin is a posiblity and like ya say Larry, parts interchangeability is a good thing if I can get things to working the way I want.

    The cover is off one of the models (BSA/Triumph 250 or such) so it might fit. I've only seen on eBay a few times and going for stupid money due to bidding. Got it with shipping from UK for about $50.

    The holes drilled got me wondering about lights too! With the shrouds having no ears, that's a distinct possiblity.

    Shoot me your address, they're yours mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thanks man. I'll send you my address. Left you some Texas Flat track possibilities at my blog.

    ReplyDelete