Saturday, August 27, 2011

A grand day out

After the nonsense Bodger has had to put up with at the salt mines this past fortnight, a three, yes three, day weekend was made use of.

Yesterday (Friday) was spent having a wee drive out into the Texas Hill Country to one of Bodgers favorite places, The Lone Star Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool.

It's been mentioned in a previous post or two. It's smallish with only about 60-80 bikes in there and mainly British. Granted it's not up to the same level as the NMM in Brum, but whereas the bikes in NMM are cordoned off, here you can actually walk amongst them.

Anywho.....it had been a while since being there last so thought it a good idea to pay a visit and to unwind. Got there and saw Allan the owner and caught up on doings with him.

He's in the process of restoring a 57 (I think he said) Triumph Thunderbird. Had the chrome plating done in San Antonio, the painting he's done himself in a very nice metallic blue and so far from what I've seen, it's looking really nice and will look brilliant when finally done.

Had a nose around and took a couple of pics mainly of the Rocket 3 that is something I drool over everytime I see one. Also a couple of a Commando with a Combat motor.

I was fixing to leave when outside in the parking area something caught my eye....this






Kawa  knows more about these than I do, but from the looks of it it's of Russian build vs Chinese. I am sure that it's not from Mona's Isle though judging by the three-legged Triskilion (sorry about the butchered spelling). Another clue was that the rear license plate showed it being from New Mexico.

And while I was looking this beast over, another bike shows up, one I had passed on the road a bit earlier. It parks up and I chat with the oowner who towers over me and I'm 5'10".

He rolls up on a bike that he's going to use in the upcoming British Singles Run that Allan has every year in October. Once either Amelia or Vicky are roadworthy, I'll take part in that as well.

Anyway, the bike that came rolling in was a BSA 500 Gold Star and for some reason the pics did not appear on the memory card of the camera.....botheration!!!!!!!!

I had a look at the engine number and am pretty certain it was a DBD34, but with the glare from the sun it was hard to see.

Take Bodgers word for it, it was beautiful


5 comments:

  1. That's great to have a motorcycle museum nearby to go and get inspired at. A 57 Triumph you say? As that gets going, I wouldn't mind seeing some pics of that to inspire me to get crackin' on my 56. You've reminded me that even though I don't have a Motorcycle museum nearby, there is a transport museum that features a lot of Ford Model T's, and various other older classic cars just down the street from me on the riverfront. They have a few motorcycles there. I should take a drive by and see if anything new has shown up.
    Those Russian and Chinese "Beemers" are interesting. heard that the quality has come up on them as well-from the earlier ones.
    Wonder if you somehow stored the BSA pic in "camera-memory" by mistake...done that a few times myself.Speaking of cameras I'll take mine along and get some pics from the museum out here. Enjoy the remainder of your three-day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great waay to unwind Larry.....even though I went in the truck, the hills and the twisty bits are always fun, 'specially in a 5speed.

    The museum, collection really, has a few Vincents in it, a Brough Superior SS80, a Hailwood Ducati replica, Indian 4, a couple of Harleys, a Whizzer, a Cushman and an Indian moped.

    All are street ready, just need the lifebloods to get 'em going along with registration for the road for a good many.

    Don't know much about the Beemer "clones", though there's a guy back home that deals with them. Was telling me that the alumininum used is from an area in Russia I think, that has some of the purest in the world....good stuff apparently. F2 Motors, think Kawa knows him.

    Did ya get the fork shrouds I sent ya? It was about a week back?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep,the parts arrived...and hope you have received my post back.Looks like it's the East coasts turn to be hammered with weather. Pretty nice here on the other coast.
    Last time I was at the museum out here they had a Vincent sitting near an AC Cobra (a real one with an aluminum body.)
    Think they had a triumph or two, and a Commando...have to check it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're interested in Russian outfits, have a read of this: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703814

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still roasting here...right now the laptop says 106, earlier at one point it said 110F. This is just not normal at all and I don't like it one bit. Much rather have the 2 weeks back in Feb where it was in the 20Fs.....much nicer!!!

    Aye up Norman....gald to see ya drop by....I'll have a butchers at that linky to see more about them. As me and the old boy with the Gold Star were talkinng we more or less agreed, the're interesting, bizarre, but interesting beasts.

    For "utility" machines, they do/did serve a practical purpose back in USSR or China, as something to look at and admire such as the Gold Star.....well.......not so much. Would be great on a farm!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete